Removing makeup can be a pain-in-the-butt, especially when you’ve gone home from a long day at work or a long night of clubbing, but skipping this crucial part of the beauty routine can cause serious repercussions on your skin, including the development of clogged pores and acne breakouts. Although products like the Acymer Mixed Fluid Makeup Remover are designed to get rid of the toughest makeup formulas while soothing and nourishing tired skin, don’t flip out if you’ve run out of your favorite makeup remover! I’ve got some other solutions for removing makeup, most of which can be found in your kitchen cabinets!
- Extra virgin olive oil. I’ve mentioned the multiple benefits of extra virgin olive oil several times before, and one of its best uses is as an effective eye makeup remover! Simply soak some on a cotton pad and press to a closed eye and remove all your eye makeup by gently rubbing the cotton pad back and forth in an arc motion. Throw the pad away and use another one for the other eye, repeating the steps. If you don’t have extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil makes a good substitute. Using natural oils to cleanse the face both removes the makeup and nourishes the skin underneath it, keeping the skin looking young, hydrated and supple. An excellent makeup remover for sensitive or dry skin!
- If you have nothing in your kitchen but milk, you can use it as a makeup remover! To remove eye makeup, just dab a bit of raw milk on a cotton ball, lightly swipe it over your eye makeup, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. It’s fast, cheap and easy, and the soothing properties of milk make it good for sensitive skin.
- Whip up a paste of raw honey and baking soda. This double-whammy acts as both a remover and cleanser, as the soothing properties of honey get rid of facial bacteria and the baking soda can act as an exfoliant. Simply apply with a warm washcloth and you have a cheap and affordable makeup remover!
- Baby wipes are great for when you can’t be bothered to get up to make a makeup remover. Baby wipes are especially formulated for the delicate skin of a baby and so are great for gently removing your makeup while also cleansing the face of dirt and other impurities. You don’t have to worry about breaking out or irritating your skin with these. If you want a quick, easy way to remove your makeup, using these is definitely a great way to do it!
- Cucumbers are a great way to remove makeup, as the water inside them helps free up dense makeup formulas and pry the makeup particles away from the skin. It also helps rejuvenate the skin underneath, as its anti-inflammatory properties help tame irritated or acne-prone skin. Use the juice as is or mix with milk or olive oil for deeper cleansing.