As we get older and our priorities start to pile up, it can be hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle, let along get enough sleep at night. Dark circles are a key indicator of stress and lack of sleep, and can become more distinguished over time if not taken care of, giving the face a tired, worn and aged look. Here are a few tips to diminish those dreaded dark circles and stop looking like a panda!
- Almond oil is great for softening the skin and holding in moisture, which can help to reduce dark circles caused by dehydrated skin and can also aid in depuffying eyes. Apply a small amount over dark circles before going to bed and gently massage it into the skin, then leave it on overnight and wash it off with cold water in the next morning. You can also use almond oil in your diet and make a hydrating face mask by combining two teaspoons of almond oil with honey.
- Tomatoes are chockfull of antioxidants and contain bleaching properties that can lighten skin to a great extent. Crush a tomato and spread the pulp mixture and juice over your dark circles. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes and rinse it off with water. You can also drink tomato juice as an alternate to the eye mask, or make a face mask with tomato pulp and plain yoghurt.
- Rosewater hydrates and rejuvenates the skin and has a soothing effect on tired eyes. Due to its mild astringent properties, it also works as a good skin toner and makeup remover. Soak cotton eye pads in pure rose water for a few minutes, place the pads on your closed eyelids and leave them on for about 15 minutes, then remove and gently rub the essence into your dark circles. Do this twice daily for a few weeks and check for results!
Image source: http://artesano.pe/uploads/tip_labrmenta__1418057744.jpg
- Crushed mint leaves are a good option for treating under eye dark circles because of its cooling and hydrating properties and the soothing sensation it gives to tired eyes. Place the crushed mint leaves around the eyes, leave on for 10 minutes and wipe off the residue with damp cotton or a splash of cool water and lightly massage the area around the eyes. Add cucumber paste for added hydration, or mix into a facial mask with honey and cucumber. Mint can also be consumed in veggie smoothies.
- Essences like Acymer Tempus Moisturizing Essence can also serve to reduce dark circles caused by dehydrated skin. These are water-based products that contain hydrating ingredients such as hyaluronic acid and plant essences like aloe vera juice.
- Cold silver spoons can also help get rid of dark circles under your eyes. Put a silver spoon in your fridge for 3 minutes and then gently touch your under eye area with it (do not squeeze or press, but lightly pass it over your dark circles). Effective and easy to do!